Friday, October 29, 2010

Steal a brain while you're at it

Dear NZ Media:

I know times are tough at the moment so I sorta applaud you for not giving ANY attention whatsoever to Stolen Everythings Club's appallingly bad taste "We belong to the Stolen Generation" tee which was pulled from the latest collection once somebody had a coffee and remembered that the term "Stolen Generation" already refers to something.

Something like thousands of Aboriginal children being removed to white-run orphanages for decades. [At the end of 2008, New South Wales were removing more Aboriginal children from their homes than during the "Stolen" period - but thats another rant.]

Ok, I lie, I don't applaud you at all. I sigh at your fail. I don't bother to sigh at Stolen Girlfriends fail because they fail simply on principle and I can't sigh all the time.

Part of me was initially surprised that Stolen Everything stopped at "Welcome to Nowhere", before I realised they were far too hip to have heard Neil Young's "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere", so the quote remained safe. For now. If you see it next season, you know where they stole it from. Not that they'd care.

One Herald blogger noticed the blunder, labelling the slogan as the worst of NZFW. "No Stolen Girlfriends Club sales expectations for this T-shirt over the Ditch then" said Janetta Mackay. Hilariously, the same Janetta Mackay said in her revue of the collection "No doubt cult followers will be lining up for the T-shirt reading 'I belong to the Stolen generation'."

It was bad enough when they decided to simply put a well known song lyric on a tee in block print and call it "fashion designing" (WHY can't I find a pic of the "We Don't Need No Education" tee? Are Stolen Everythings as embarassed of it as they should rightly be?) but to be god damned DUMB enough to put out a tee for rich white Remuera indie kids linking them to the Stolen Generations is flabbergasting.

FAIL:

Love, Pepper

No comments:

Post a Comment